Monday, May 17, 2010

Where Does the Time Go?

To say it has been busy in our household for the last two years is an understatement. Three busy kids, one busy dad, and a full-time student for a mom would be a busy family. This post is not going to go over the last 8 months (although I do plan on posting pictures and telling stories of the many events that have transpired in our lives). It is going to be a brief reflection on what happened on Friday, May 14th. And it is possible that you all might find this boring, but to me and my family, it is quite significant. Twelve years ago I graduated from high school and then began my collegiate experience. Who would have thought that after getting married, having three kids, putting a husband through medical school, and moving to two different states that I would graduate from college? I mean, the odds were kind of stacked against me. But with the support of a wonderful husband who picked up the slack when I was busy and patient kids and wonderful friends, I did it. And I did it well.
Friday morning, Jordan kept asking me if I was excited. I responded that this really wasn't that big of a deal. However, as I sat in the Coliseum with my friends and heard the cheers and applause; saw the tears in my husband's and my parents' eyes; saw the pride in my children's eyes, I realized that this was indeed a big deal. I did it. I graduated from college.
I think I felt this was not a big deal because so many of the people around me have done the same thing or more. But it was, it is. I can now tell people that I am a college graduate. I can check the level of education box next to bachelor's degree. I am proud of myself. But most importantly, I am grateful that I was supported by those who love me so that my children could see how important an education is. Even to a stay-at-home mom.

9 comments:

Sissy Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sissy Jackson said...

C- I am SO PROUD OF YOU. That is a HUGE accomplishment! I am over flowing with Pride for you my little C! What next? A Masters in French? You would be a HOTTT french teacher!

Marci said...

Cianne!!! Yay! Way to go! You inspire me! I will be calling you for lots of pep talks when I go back to school to finish my degree.

West Family said...

I have tears in my eyes too! You are awesome Cianne. Congratulations grad!

Lewis Family said...

I remember watching my mom graduate from college... I was nine years old. It was a very powerful and proud moment for all of us! Congratulations my friend!!!

Crazyloca said...

Cianne...so happy for you! Congrats! I follow you via blog and love hearing what is new with you guys!

Camie said...

YAY CIANNE!

Emma and Dan said...

I'm glad you mentioned that you "did it well" because you are a smart cookie and everyone should know it! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see pictures.

Bethany said...

That is so awesome! A huge sacrific but well worth it. Isn't accomplishment addictive?