The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede

This is a nonfiction book about the city of Gander and the events that took place there on 9/11. I really enjoyed this book, even through the tears of remembering where I was and how I felt on September 11, 2001. Gander, Newfoundland has a large runway because it use to be a layover stop for transatlantic flights. Gander became a hub for many flights that were diverted to Canada after our airspace was closed. The story focuses on a few of the passengers and the things that the city folks did to help the stranded passengers. My heart was truly touched by the kindness of these people. It is a quick read, but humbling. If you are looking to read something to remind you how wonderful people are (especially after shopping for Christmas presents), I highly recommend this book.
Eve's Daughters by Lynn Austin
This book is about four generations of women: great-grandma, grandma, mother, and daughter. It tells each of their stories early in courtship, marriage, and motherhood. The stories especially focus on the decisions that each made as a mother that has effected her daughters relationships and views of the world. I fell in love with each of the women, Louise, Emma, Grace, and Suzanne. As you read the stories, you realize that Emma, the grandma, leaves things out and makes her granddaughter dig for answers to her grandma's past. The journey of the women is amazing. It also speaks about our relationship with Heavenly Father and the importance of this relationship. This book really made me think about the things I do in my life that might/will influence the decisions my girls will make when they grow up. I have been telling everyone I know to read this book if you are in need of a good book that actually has something to make you think about. (Not that Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Midnight Sun don't leave you obsessing and thinking about Edward, but this book makes you think about yourself. Quick tangent...Midnight Sun is the the first book, Twilight, written from Edward's experience. The link above will take you to chapter 1 which has been posted online.)Now for the book that is not note worthy.
A Woman of Independent Means
This book takes the format of These is my Words but lacks the emotional insight that Nancy Turner had. I wouldn't recommend this book and that is all I am going to say about it.Enjoy reading! Let me know if you have any suggested readings!




4 comments:
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down and recommend it to anyone.
Thanks for the good reviews. I am just about to read the Midnight Sun chapter, I'll let ya know what I think.
I'm glad to hear about these. I am always up for a good read. I have heard good things about Eve's Daughters. Maybe I'll read that next.
I'll have to try those!
I started reading "Woman of Independent Means" as well and disliked it.
Post a Comment