Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History!

Well, what an election year. Either way that the vote went, it was historic. Congratulations to Barak Obama and Joe Biden.



Some of you may be surprised to see this on my blog, well not really surprised that I have something about the election on my blog because, I am after all a political science major. But you are probably surprised to see that I congratulate the democratic President-Elect. I will proudly say that I voted for the McCain-Palin ticket. That I am a proud republican. Above all, though, I am an American that celebrates our democratic process.

The most amazing part of this election is not that it was full of mud-slinging, though it was, or that the race was so hotly contested in many states. It is amazing that just forty years ago segregation and racism were normal. What a strong country we live in and embrace.

Obama's speech tonight was amazing. He didn't get my vote, but he does have my support. I may not always agree with him. In fact, I probably will disagree with him more than agree with him, but he is the President. I have respect for the office. I wish more people would have shown this to President Bush. Policy and politics is one thing, but the office of President is on that demands respect. So, to President-Elect Obama, congratulations.

8 comments:

West Family said...

My thoughts exactly. I was trying to explain to my kids today that there are soooo many people that work together to run a country that one man cannot make every choice alone. So, although we might not vote for a specific person there are many who are in office that share and fight for our beliefs. I really hope Obama can be the kind of president he promised to be.

Harmony said...

Amen! I thought Obama gave a very powerful speech last night. And although I may not agree with his policies, I respect the title he bears. I choose to support this country! MY country!

Kim H. said...

As an Obama supporter for a long time, his speech last night tipifies why we support him. When he talked to you and said you may not agree with me, but I am still your president and I will listen to you...so refreshing!!

David said...

Good post, well said.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Cianne - well put, I agree with you.

Although, I have to disagree with most of the comments here, I think the way he speaks is distracting and too polished, he doesn't come across as "real" to me.

Nonetheless I think it was a very historic night and I can't imagine how thrilling it was for African American's, especially those who lived during the times of segregation.

Davis and Laura said...

Very well said-I was a Obama fan all along tho. And I am happy to see the Twilight widget! We still need to get a group together for the midnight showing! :)

Lewis Family said...

After my pity party last night, thankfully, the sun still came up in the morning. No doubt, Obama's ability to stir emotions got him elected. But I'm happy for him and will sincerely do my best to support him. Just wish the bitter opposition would have done the same for Bush.

One theme that has been running through my head in this election is that actions speak louder than words. So for me, the jury is still out. Until then, Congrats, and condolences to Obama...now YOU get to own this war, economy, deficit, and broken health care system. God bless.

Cami said...

Hi Cianne,it is me, your blog stalker! Thank you for taking care of Tim while he is out there. He has told me how great your family is and how much he appreciates all of Jordan's help and advice. Hopefully I will get a chance to meet you guys soon!