Friday, May 4, 2007

Caleb Goes Under the Knife


Today was a big day for our little boy. He had ear tubes put in because he has had 5 ear infections in 5 months. Our surgeon, Dr. Shah, was wonderful and I would highly recommend him to anyone in the DC area. It did help that Jordan had worked with him for a month while doing a rotation with the ENT team at Children's National Hospital.
Everything went great. We arrived at the surgical center at 8:00 am with a hungry and confused baby. For
me, that was the worst part-him being hungry and not understanding why he couldn't eat. Then he was checked out by the nurses, anesthesiologist, and Dr Shah. We went back to the operating room, he took 10 breaths from the mask, and he was out. By the time we gathered out things and made it to the waiting room, he was out of surgery. He woke up, had some juice, and we were able to leave. We left the center at 9:45.
He is doing great. You wouldn't be able to tell that he had had minor surgery. He was happy and silly. I am
glad it is over. I learned once again that nothing is routine when it comes to my children.

3 comments:

Shawni said...

Oh...these pictures break my heart. What a sweet little boy. I am so glad that the surgery went well. Kids adapt and heal so quickly it is amazing. I think it is one of those qualities we should all strive for. Kisses to sweet Caleb and his Mommy.
AUNTIE

Misa S said...

Little Caleb! Makes me want to cry too! I am glad you all survived. I hope it helps the poor little guy's ear infections. Thanks for the name of the doctor...always looking for good doctors close by, just in case.

Emily said...

Hey Jordan and Cianne...
Trent and I were just looking at your blog and can't believe what a cute fam you have! I'm glad the tubes thing went well - our oldest Jack had them put in when he was 10 months old and it's the best thing we've ever done for him! I still think about the cute mini hospital gown he was in and smile. Anyway, it sounds like things are going well and fun to see what you've been up to since it's been so long. Do you mind if we link your blog on ours???
Emily