Tuesday, November 6, 2007

One of Those Days

Today was like any other day in my life. It wasn't a bad day or a stressful day, it was just a day. But as I was folding laundry today I just started laughing at who I am. I reflected on my day-wake the kids up and get them ready for school and the day, say prayers as a family, read the scriptures, take the kids to school, go to the gym, come home and eat some oatmeal, empty the dishwasher, jump on the tramp with Caleb, change the laundry, vacuum the house, get Caleb lunch, put Caleb down for his nap, change another load of laundry, take a short respite (some days you just need a nap), clean the girls rooms, change the laundry, get Caleb up from his nap, get Caleb a snack, go and get the kids from school, change the laundry, help with homework, chase the kids around the house, change laundry, make dinner, make the beds because I washed the sheets, serve and clean-up dinner, make zucchini bread, change last load of laundry, give Caleb a bath, get him ready for bed, get Izzy and Abbi to take showers, tidy the kids rooms, put Caleb in bed, time the girls while they brush their teeth, read with Abbi, say prayers, put the girls in bed, blog...
Anyone that knew me ten years ago would say, "Really!?" I would have said, "Really?!" because I had plans to become a pediatric surgeon. Little did I know that I wouldn't go to medical school but that I would marry someone and help him through medical school. Ten years ago I couldn't imagine being a stay-at-home mom. As I was laughing at this, I was thinking "What was I thinking back then?" Being a mom, a housewife, has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I find no greater joy that hearing my kids laugh as we play together or seeing my family talking around the table while we eat a meal that I lovingly prepared.
As monotonous as my days may be and even though there are no sick days or vacation time, I wouldn't change my hectic, chore filled day with anyone. I am happier than anyone could imagine and seeing my husband go through a general surgery internship makes me even more satisfied with my choice to become a mother and not a surgeon!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Amen to watching our husbands in surgery and being sure we got the better end of the deal. You're great, Cianne!

Emma and Dan said...

That's a lot of laundry! You are amazing. Poor Dan just politely asked me if I could please do a load tomorrow because he is out of pants. Oops! :)
I'm still just learning how to manage my time, but I sure love being with Elena all day!

Hopkinson said...

This entry made me want to start crying. I swear I could cut and paste most of it into my own daily report! Just last week on the way home from the temple I mused to Aaron that it was almost 10 yrs. since I had graduated from high school and WOW! look at me now. heh heh...reread your post for more detailed insights on that!
But you are right. Isn't this mom and family-life thing fulfilling!
I found a link to your blog from Jessie's. This has been so much fun to read and catch up. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I'm so happy for your successes in life.
Tiff Hopkinson (Quinn)

Camie said...

Cianne,

I keep meaning to post something here! It is so fun to see you with your adorable family. The American dream. What great "ladies" we all are now! I am going to check back with you often to see what you are up to. Old friends are the best friends. XOXOXO