Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Not the Bottom of the Totem Pole

Today is a great day in the day of the Wallins. Why you may ask? Because Jordan is no longer an intern. He is no longer the bottom feeder, the low man on the totem pole. He is now a PGY 2 which means there are people below him. With this change in status also comes a change in job description. This past year he rotated between different surgery departments-Oncology, Neurosurgery, Plastics, Trauma, Cardio-thoracic, Pediatrics, ICU and then other medicine departments-anesthesiology, emergency medicine and three months of ENT. This year, and all of the years to follow, will be strictly ENT. His call schedule also improves dramatically. He has 6 nights of call-one weekend and three weeknights, and it is all home call which means he only goes in if he has to. He will probably go in a lot as he is the first person that will get called, but that is okay. It is much better than being on call every third night and staying at the hospital. I am so excited for this change in lifestyle. It will be much more predictable. I know when his late nights are and when he is in the clinic.

Good Job, Jordan! You worked so hard this year and I am SO PROUD OF YOU! I love you!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Great news.

Jasmine said...

Congratulations! Isn't it a great feeling not to be the bottom-feeder anymore??!! How many more years does Jordan have left in residency? Wayne only had a 2yr. residency here in Canada, so he's been in practice for 2 years already!

Linzie said...

Yea!! I'm starting to feel a little tiny bit that way about med-school. I can't believe we are third years?! And yet, we are ONLY third years!!!

West Family said...

Oh, I wish I could say that Kris' schedule was going to get easier. It has not been a fun first week. He does a 24 every Sunday for 3 months! It makes for a very long Sacrament meeting...

i don't know if it is worse to be an intern or the bottom of the ortho latter!

Congrats for making it through the year!

Alyson said...

Tyson starts his first rotaion today. :(

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Wow that is awesome you guys!!! Nice to have your hubby around a bit more!