Sunday, April 20, 2008

On The Good Ship Fascination



Well, after four long years Jordan and I had a whole week away, together, without kids. And it was fabulous. We are lucky enough to have wonderful friends who were willing to take care of our kids for the week so we could go on a cruise to Key West, FL and Cozumel, Mexico.

It all started on Monday, April 14th. We left early to get to the airport and head to Fort Lauderdale. Once we arrived we got onto a bus to get to the port of Miami. As a side note, I don't know why anyone would want to live in Miami after driving through it. It just seemed so dirty. I am sure that there are beautiful places in Miami, but from what I saw, it looked scary. Anyway, once at the port we boarded the Carnival Fascination and all of its 80's glory. And when I say 80's I mean florescent pink lighting, aqua blue, weird lighting in the dining room. We went to our stateroom which was actually pretty nice. We had a big window and the bed was very comfortable. Then we hit the lunch buffet. I was really looking forward to the food. I love good food. This is the point that I should be telling you all about the delicious food, but that just isn't going to happen. During the whole week there wasn't one meal that I thought was awesome, it was all just OK. Then we hit the deck for some sun! The rest is basically what happens on any cruise-dinner, a mediocre show, and bed.

On Tuesday we found ourselves in Key West, Florida. Key West is actually a very cute place. It was chilly, windy, and overcast that day so that left little to do beside shop. We had some key lime pie at Kermit's, did a little shopping, and then went back to the boat. We decided to jump into the hot tub only to find that it was lukewarm. Then it was more of the same-eating all you can eat soft serve ice cream, taking a long nap, dinner, show, and bed. It was the formal night so we did get dressed up for dinner and we had some crazy photos taken. Let's just leave it at this, Jordan and I tried to get as many pictures taken as possible and end up laughing until we cried.

On Wednesday we were in Cozumel, Mexico. I think we were actually in Cozumel for 10 minutes before getting on a catamaran to head to Playa Del Carmen, which is south of Cancun. Once there we headed south to the Mayan ruins of Tulum. It was spectacular. I loved seeing the parallels in our religion and in the temples they built. The two things that stand out are the Temple of the Descending God-Christ and their calendar system. I will try my best to explain the later. In the back of all of the temples is a small window-maybe 4" by 2". The window is in the east side of the building. So on a particular day, the sun comes up directly in line with the window. The windows were on the spring and fall equinox and the summer and winter solstice. With one exception. There was a window for April 6th, the day to plant, the day to start life. I find it as no coincidence that this is also the day we believe that Christ was born. So, I find their calendar system amazing. The ruins are also located on a cliff that overlooks the ocean. We were able to swim in the ocean and see what beauty was around us. By the time we got back to Cozumel, it was time to get on the boat. We danced a little, sang so karaoke, had some ice cream, and just enjoyed each other. We also went to the Mexican themed Midnight buffet and no, it was not worth it.

Thursday was our only day at sea. Some how I have convinced Jordan that I require a massage for complete relaxation. So I woke up early to go get my massage. It was great. Then we took in some rays, got ice cream, and got burnt. This is a new concept to me as I don't recall really burning before, but I was red and it hurt. So we decided to go take a nap. I know, life of the cruise. Then we went to dinner and back to our stateroom to catch the new episode of the Office. Hey, it was either that or sleep. We also went a bought a few pictures from the boat so we could always remember the night the photographer wanted Jordan to kiss my neck while my head was back or when I told Jordan to grab my boobs and made the photographer mad (this pose was really bad and quite reminiscent of a HS prom picture) Honestly, how do they come up with such ridiculous poses?

Friday we got of the boat, on a bus, on a plane, and we were home. It was such a sweet reunion with our kids. I missed them a lot apparently. Jordan says I worked them into every conversation and that everyone I spoke to knew I had three beautiful kids in less than a minute. I really did miss them. But I really enjoyed and needed time with my husband.

I will say that I wouldn't highly recommend the cruise. It was fine, but you definitely get what you pay for.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you had fun together.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Wow!!! Fun trip for you guys! How nice to get away with your hubby for a week... in residency... I am impressed and jealous. Casey and I are celebrating our 10 yr this summer and we would love to get away... I am not sure is schedule will allow... I am going to have him take a look at your lovely trip to see if he could pull something good this year. Cute pictures of you guys! I am glad you guys had a fun trip!

Shawni said...

What an awesome trip...I am so glad you got to go. Both of you deserved it. Maybe one day we can go together. Love all over, S

Let the Good Times Roll said...

MAN! it looks like you had the time of your lives, and you are looking amazing. I love looking at your blog, sorry I don't make more comments. It is so much fun to see your fam grow up and keep up on your life. If I can make it to the reunion, then I will see you there.

Talk to you soon,

Spence.

Jill said...

Happy Anniversary you rabbits you!!
Looks like you had a blast and I'm so glad you took the time to go on a cruise--at long blessed last!!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you could escape with Jordan for the week. Sorry your cruise wasn't all you hoped it would be. If you do another one, try Royal Caribbean! We love you guys and are glad everything is well in NC!